Black Bean Burgers
In Season: Summer
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
oil for frying (optional)
- Mash the beans in a large bowl with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Press firmly to form into patties.
- Barbecue on a grill over a medium heat, or heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan and fry burgers until heated through, 4-5 minutes.
- Top with grilled veggies, and serve on a bun.
Yields 4 burgers
Modified from www.vegetarian.about.com